To get a better look, click on any picture and you should get a full screen version.

Wednesday 10 January 2018

Wednesday 10th January. An eventful couple of sea days.

Well, it was all going so smoothly.  And I mean, smoothly.   On Tuesday we woke to a calm sea, and after a leisurely breakfast, had a chat with the cruise director and housekeeping  about setting up tables and such in the craft area.  We knew we’d have to shuffle things about a bit, but all the CMV staff were being dead helpful and we didn’t think we’d have any more problems than usual.  We knew Peter would probably have to run a second class, so the first one was scheduled to allow us to fit another one in the afternoon.

So we turned up at one o’clock.  The housekeeping lads shoved and pushed tables and chairs about for us until we were happy, the craft area was cordoned off and we started to put out the equipment.  We were ready by 1.30, and there was already a large queue waiting to coming in.  Better to let them sit down I thought, rather than keep them all waiting.
BIG mistake.  There must easily have been another 60 people come in, and I had to keep explaining that there would be another class later in the afternoon.  Some hung around, many were cross, all accused us of starting early.   I had to explain that the class had not started, it was simply that the people sitting down had arrived earlier.  One guy was incredibly angry, would not listen, and kept shouting at us that it shouldn’t be allowed.  It was absolute chaos.

Once the class started, it all started to calm a little.  Eventually it was time for the second class.  A crowd had gathered and it was as much as we could do to keep them out until the tables were set up.  Once again, it was chaos, but it settled down, with 32 people painting, and another 15 or so watching.  Peter was slightly  hoarse by the end of it, having had to shout across the room for the 2 hours solid.

It turns out that it wasn’t just us that had too many passengers try to get into a class.  Jan, who ran the crafts class in the morning had had a terrible time of it, and Peter who ran the Ukulele class had 100+ passengers turn up when he only has 40 places on his course.

So that was Tuesday.  Tuesday night, the ship began to move about a bit, so I went to bed early, feeling a little nauseous.  Wednesday morning I stayed there.  According to the Assistant Cruise Director, Wednesday was the roughest crossing of the bay that they had in a long time.  And I felt it.

So I spent Wednesday morning in bed, dozing.  But to be honest, if I spend too much time in bed, I get a headache.  I did try to get up a couple of times, but felt too nauseous.  I eventually got up about 1pm, thinking I should get up to the top deck.  From there, it was easy to see how much the ship was pitching, and how terrible the weather was.  Gale force 9 apparently, with 8 metre high waves.   It was the first time I’ve felt seasick on the Magellan, but it turns out there was good reason.

So I was up, but I now had a headache.  Peter and I sat in the Tavern Pub, which was probably one of the most level places on the ship until my nausea passed, and we ended up trying our hand at the dart board.  I am absolutely rubbish.

Because the sea has been so rough, the Bistro at the back of the ship has been closed and everyone has had to eat in the restaurant.  Most of the other crafters preferred the Bistro, so effectively we all got together last night and ate in the restaurant.  My head still hurt, but it ended up a quite a good night, with Peter the Ukulele teacher and my Peter singing on the Karaoke, and a couple of games of table football.  All good fun.

Partly because we left Amsterdam late, and partly because the rough seas have slowed down the ship, we will not be able to get Lisbon by Thursday. Vigo has been chosen as an alternative port, so Spain here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment