To get a better look, click on any picture and you should get a full screen version.

Friday 13 January 2012

Mindelo, Cape Verde Islands

I'm posting this from the cheap wi-fi point we've discovered in Mindelo.  It's actually the Marina wi-fi , so we've snuck into the Marina bar to tap away.  (Don't tell 'em that we haven't got a yacht!  Something a little bigger actually).
To be honest, we've haven't seen much of Mindelo so far, we came here first, so that Peter could work and I can mess around as I need.
Therefore I'm only posting a few photo's of what we've seen up till now, which is basically the port. Port Grande - where we've docked, is actually a sea filled volcano crater and actually quite lovely, or it would be if it wasn't for all the ships.  Then again, they add interest I suppose. Anyway just a few pictures for now.  If the ship gets its internet sorted, I should be able to update properly later today.

Continued
.
The battery on the netbook ran out, so I did have to stop there, and it started to rain. . So we went back to the ship to recharge the batteries and get a bit of lunch.  Then it was back out again.  Unfortunately, like the last time we visited, Mindelo is closed.  Apparently it's a bank holiday in Cape Verde today.  Typical.  No matter, we still enjoyed a slow meander to see if anything we had seen last year had changed. I can tell you it is warm, but overcast here at the moment, so it's been nice to meander up and down the streets.
I think, although I couldn't swear on it, the place is looking a tiny bit better than it did.  I took a picture of a run down building last year, and took another this year to compare.  It's been worked on and looks better, and the hole in the road just in front of it has gone too.
I don't know why, despite the begging, and the loose animals, and the general scruffyness of this place,  I like Mindelo.  It can be intimidating not being able to speak the language, and there being so many young men just wandering the streets, but we've not really been bothered, in fact the lady with the basket on her head, and other locals grinned at us taking pictures of us, one guy even egged us on.
From the little I know, tourism is being encouraged here, therefore the begging is being discouraged, which is why I think we are being treated with respect, and maybe a little curiousity.  We'll be back off to the ship now, hopefully they'll have sorted out the internet, otherwise it will be a while before I can put another post on.


Mindelo 2011

Mindelo 2013
Mindelo 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment