To get a better look, click on any picture and you should get a full screen version.

Tuesday 10 January 2012

Funchal, Madeira

We woke up this morning to see Funchal under a lovely blue sky through the portholes of our cabin.  Not only that, Peter is starting feel and sound better.  The ship was only scheduled to spend the morning in Madeira, and since we’ve been here before, we decided we would take a stroll, pick up a couple of things like soft drinks for the cabin and soft face tissues, and enjoy the free wi-fi.
Our first job was to find the items on our shopping list, and I remembered a supermarket that was able to provide just about everything except thermos mugs.  We wanted these so that we could take tea and coffee back to the cabin.   We didn’t find them, which was hardly surprising.  I mean, who needs thermos mugs in Madeira?
But we enjoyed our meander.  Funchal really is a beautiful city and we took several photo’s to add to our previous collection.
The city is also noted for its New Year Fireworks, where loads of cruise ships arrive purely for the occasion, vying for the best positions just offshore.  Obviously we missed all that, but during our walk we noticed that the Christmas decorations and nativity were only just being dismantled, althoough I managed to get a photo of the snowmen before they were taken away, they were just so cute.

Then we indulged at a cafe on free wi-fi, tea, coffee and a sickeningly gorgeous cake for me in the lovely warm sunshine.  We updated a few bits n pieces on the internet, and I was able to use the wi-fi to say hi to me Mum and Dad on Skype before we made our way back to the ship. The ship sailed at 2 this afternoon, passing a couple of smaller ships - the Saga Pearl II and the Saga Ruby on its way out of port.   I had a good look as we went past.  I wonder what a Saga ship looks like alongside one of the Royal Caribbean “Oasis” ships?  A lifeboat probably! 

We’ve had a really lazy afternoon and evening, (another nap), and enjoyed a pleasant meal in the Marco Bistro.  I remember that on my last cruise, I commented that I was fed up of having to dress for dinner.  On this ship however, they do have a “Casual” dress code, which they seem to use for those evenings when we’ve been in port.   We can go to dinner in jeans. Yipppeeeeee. 
Now I will go on to the second real downer of the Marco Polo – no launderette.  Something we didn’t pick up when we read all the reviews.  On a two week cruise I would imagine you could cope without washing anything, but for the people who got on in Tilbury, this cruise is 45 days long!  You can put your clothes in for the laundry service, but I am not paying a £1.00 a pair to get me knickers washed and  “ironed”.  (According to the price chart you can’t just have them washed.)

So when we were out today, we bought soap powder.  There are little washing lines in the bathroom, so it looks like I am going to have to get me rubber gloves on and get scrubbing.  (Feel sorry for me......... I have to wash Peter’s socks!)  Tomorrow is a sea day.  More relaxing methinks.

Funchal, Madeira 2011
Travelling to Funchal, Madeira 2013
New Years Eve Fireworks, Funchal, Madeira 31 Dec 2013
B&B in Funchal, Madeira 2014
Funchal, Madeira 2014

1 comment:

  1. We spent a week based in Funchal a few years back, hiking the mountains and levadas. Quite a good base for that, and nice enough with some good places to eat, too!

    ReplyDelete